Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My First 'Tutorial'-Ribbon Bracelets


Sorry for the terrible picture-it's hard to take decent picturs of your own wrist...
The idea for this came from my inability to remember which side I'm supposed to start with when I nurse the baby. I could have just used a hair tie, but they always leave huge dents in my arm especially when I wear them while I sleep. I decided to make this super simple ribbon bracelet.
You will need:
-Elastic (I used one of those super long skinny balloons in a pinch, but it doesn't turn out as pretty)
-Ribbon of your choice-just make sure that it's wider than the elastic you picked
-Sewing machine AND needle & thread
-scrap of yarn (about 6+ inches)
-button to match/coordinate with your ribbon

Go for it:
1. Measure around your wrist with your tape measure and add 1/2 inch. Cut your elastic to that length.
2. Stretch your elastic and measure it fully stretched. It doens't have to be stretched as far as it can go, so don't strain yourself :) Some elastics (like my 1/2" black stuff) only stretched to 11 inches (with my 6 1/2 in piece of elastic) while my 'baby soft' 1/4 inch elastic stretched to 12 easily.
3. Cut your ribbon that lenght (of the stretched elastic).
4. Here I used a lighter to melt the ends of both my elastic and my ribbon as a fray check.
5. Knot your yarn into a circle.

6. Fold over the end of the ribbon and pin the elsatic in it, trapping the yarn under the loop of ribbon, shown above.

7. Place under your needle. Make sure your top thread is white (to match the elastic) and the bobbin thread matches your ribbon. Using a zig-zag stitch (or a straight stitch will work fine too, but your ribbon will fold up like a clam after a while), sew your ribbon to the elastic, (making sure to back stitch over that little flap of ribbon at the beginning to secure the elastic) stretching the elastic with your right hand and using your left hand to pull the yarn out the back, so that the whole thing actually feeds through. You should stretch the elastic so that it's the same length as the ribbon.
8. When you get to the end of the ribbon back stitch again.
9. Now make sure you've got your ribbon all faced the same direction so that it's not twisted, and overlap the ends, with the raw end on the underside and the pretty folded flap on top. You'll want to do this 'upside down' so that you are still sewing with the elastic up so you don't get white thread all over the top of your ribbon.
10. Take your needle and thread and sew your button right over top of your stitching so you can't see it. That's it!




4 comments:

  1. sooooo cute! where do coe up with these ideas??? very crafty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is supposed to say you not coe! one handed typing!=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog!
    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete